Canned beans are a parent’s best friend when it comes to fast food! Not only can you make by bean burgers and falafel-style wraps, but now you can make these super easy tacos.
This recipe is a great source of fiber, protein, and antioxidants found in herbs and spices.
- 1-15 oz can beans (pinto, black, kidney, cannellini–almost anything will work). Drain and rinse the beans well to reduce the sodium tremendously.
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of chili powder, and/or paprika
- Corn or whole wheat tortillas cut into quarters (or cut in half if they are small). I find that cutting the tortillas helps me get more filling per tortilla, and are easier for little hands.
- Combine all ingredients (except the tortillas) in a medium-sized bowl.
- Warm the tortillas in the oven of in a dry skillet on medium heat.
- Fill the tortilla pieces with the bean mixture, and serve with the salsa below, plus some plain Greek yogurt on top! (a great source of protein, and a delicious substitute for sour cream. Both nonfat and full fat yogurt work). If your house is dairy free, use ripe slices of avocado as a topping–YUM!
Fresh Mango Salsa
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/2 mango, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 full scallions, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt & pepper to taste
- hot sauce or jalapeno (optional)
- Pulse the grapes in your blender about three times, or until they are all finely chopped, but not yet liquid.
- Add the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- That’s it! You’re done! Now go eat 🙂
We love this salsa as a dip for plain popcorn-style chips, or veggies such as carrots, celery, and especially bell peppers! It is also great for quesadillas, tacos, and burgers!
Marina Bedrossian is a Northport, NY dietitian nutritionist who helps people with holistic nutrition solutions and food sensitivities. Visit this page to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to join the private Facebook group “Ingredients For Healthy Families” more information here.