This is the fastest slow cooked fake stuffed cabbage recipe ever (does that even make sense?). I don’t have a slow cooker, so I made it in a small pot on the stove.
I love how simple and economical this recipe is. Serve over rice, quinoa, or beans if desired.
- 1 medium head of green cabbage roughly chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 oz ground beef, raw
- 15 oz can of chopped tomatoes,
- 1/2 cup water
- salt & pepper
- big pinch each of dried thyme and oregano
- Evenly place 1/3 of the cabbage and onions in a slow cooker or a medium-sized pot.
- Break apart the meat into small chunks in a layer over the vegetables, then add 1/2 of the seasonings.
- Make another layer of the cabbage and onions, topped with the rest of the meat and seasonings, finished with one last layer of the cabbage and onions.
- Top with the tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook on the stove top covered on low heat for 3 hours, no stirring. If using a crockpot ,medium heat for 3 hours should do the trick. I prefer to leave the top off for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Marina Bedrossian is a Northport, NY dietitian nutritionist who helps people with holistic nutrition solutions and food sensitivities. Visit this page to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to join the private Facebook group “Ingredients For Healthy Families” more information here.