I really don’t care for cooked kale, and now that I think about it, I don’t really care for Kale at all if it is not in this recipe! Kale is in the same family as broccoli (cruciferous vegetable) which gives it cancer-fighting properties.
When kale is made this way, I can easily eat a whole bunch of it! This salad is also great with chopped fresh tomatoes and anchovies.
- ¼ tsp mustard
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise (I Love Trader Joe’s Organic Mayo)
- ¼ clove garlic, grated or minced (garlic powder will do if you’re in a hurry)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Bunch Kale (I prefer the flat leaf Tuscan kale)
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese (optional)*
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk the mustard, mayonnaise, garlic, and lemon juice until combined.
- Rip the kale leaves off of the stems and slice into thin strips.
- Take one handful of the sliced kale and rub it between your hands to break down the tough cell walls of the kale, like a massage. Continue this with the rest of the kale, then place the broken down kale into the salad dressing and mix well.
- Add the cheese, salt, and pepper and mix until the salad is evenly seasoned. Enjoy!
Marina Bedrossian is a Northport, NY dietitian nutritionist who helps people with holistic nutrition solutions and food sensitivities. Visit this page to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to join the private Facebook group “Ingredients For Healthy Families” more information here.