There is nothing like a refreshing drink in the summer, and believe it or not, they don’t need to be loaded with sugar to be crowd pleasers!
Marina’s Mojitarita Cocktail (Serves 4)
The making of this drink came about when I was craving a mojito (but would settle for a margarita) but did not have the proper ingredients (rum, tequila), and did not want to add simple syrup (AKA sugar water). I find the triple sec adds the needed sweetness and flavor to make this drink amazing!
- 4 limes, juiced
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 3 shots Triple Sec
- 3 shots vodka (rum or tequila would work too)
- 2 cups ice
- Since I misplaced my bar muddler, I twisted and rubbed the fresh mint together with clean hands, then added it to the lime juice.
- In a medium-sized pitcher, Mix the remaining ingredients and stir well.
Mom’s Iced Tea (Serves 6)
There is nothing like this next one! It takes a bit more prep time, but is so worth it. I make this when I’m cooking something in the kitchen, which gives me plenty of time to let it cool down.
- 8 cups water
- 4 black tea bags
- 2 earl grey tea bags
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1/2 lemon
- Boil the water and steep all of the tea bags according to the directions on the box (5 minutes or less, usually).
- Twist the sprigs of mint (to help release their oils and flavor) and add to the tea.
- Allow the tea to cool in the refrigerator. Then squeeze the lemon half and add the actual lemon piece to the mix.
- Transfer to a pitcher and add ice when serving.
- Enjoy!! This can also be made into a cocktail. My first choice would be gin in here 😉
Marina Bedrossian is a Northport, NY dietitian nutritionist who helps people with holistic nutrition solutions and food sensitivities. Visit this page to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to join the private Facebook group “Ingredients For Healthy Families” more information here.