This loaf is not only gluten, dairy, soy, corn, and yeast free, it is also vegan and full of nutrition! I LOVE dense bread like this for all occasions, and since it is so high in fiber, you can feel great about eating it.
This recipe comes from my good dietitian friend out in San Diego, original source unknown.
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2/3 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 1/4 cups GF old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole flax seed
- 1/3 cup psyllium husk
- 1/4 cup chia seed
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- combine the sunflower seeds, almonds, and buckwheat on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, until lightly fragrant.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flax, psyllium, chia, and salt.
- Combine the toasted seeds, almonds, and buckwheat with the other ingredients in the large bowl. Add the remaining liquid ingredients to the bowl and stir well.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and pour the mixture in, flattening out the top with a spatula.
- Cover the pan and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Uncover the loaf pan and bake for 1.5 hours.
- Let the loaf cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing. Slice the loaf as desired and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Marina Bedrossian is a Northport, NY dietitian nutritionist who helps people with holistic nutrition solutions and food sensitivities. Visit this page to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to join the private Facebook group “Ingredients For Healthy Families” more information here.