This recipe, like all can be modified in many ways. I love using a yogurt sauce like this one
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds, ground
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 lb zucchini, coarsely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ¾ cup hummus
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 gluten free, dairy free, and soy free pita rounds, halved and warmed (Can be homemade, MyBread gluten free bakery, Katz gluten free, etc.)
- 2 cups lettuce, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- Place ground chia seeds into the 3 tbsp of water in small bowl. Let sit for 10-15 minutes or until the solution takes on a texture similar to a raw egg.
- Wrap grated zucchini in clean kitchen towel and wring out excess moisture.
- Place chia mixture, zucchini, garlic, and green onion into large bowl and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Drop 1/3 cup of zucchini mixture into skillet and gently flatten. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate, and repeat with remaining zucchini mixture.
- Spread 2 Tbsp hummus inside each pita half. Fill with 2 tomato slices, 2 zucchini cakes, red onion slices, and 1/3 cup chopped lettuce. Enjoy!
*Special thanks to Christina Chan, Dietetic Student.
Marina Bedrossian is a Northport, NY dietitian nutritionist who helps people with holistic nutrition solutions and food sensitivities. Visit this page to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to join the private Facebook group “Ingredients For Healthy Families” more information here.